Music Challenge -Day 19 --Julie London -Cry Me A River

 Aside from Etta James, I have not done much to show the crooners, the torch songs, the "pop-standards" that I sometimes like to listen to, used to play a lot on WRPI when I took a late night fill in shift, and really should listen to more. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bobby Darrin, Peggy Lee, Ella Fitzgerald, and all the others who really knew how to sing. Being forced to choose one, I rather arbitrarily chose Julie London. Not sure why, perhaps it's in part because she played a nurse on the classic TV show "Emergency." Or perhaps it's because this song includes the rather bizarre line "You said that love was too plebian." I mean, who talks like that? Goths, I suppose. What was the 1950s equivalent of a goth? Beatnik, junkie poets? Regardless, this is a wonderful song and this clip comes from the 1956 film, "The Girl Can't Help It." Remember, the 1950s when drinking was more common in films?




And for no reason at all, here's the Crystal Gayle version from 1978. Not quite as controlled and disciplined, but a wonderful recording nevertheless.


Comments