Music Challenge -Day 17 -Talking Heads -Papa Legba


If asked to give a personal history of music and my life, it would be impossible to ignore the Talking Heads. Undoubtedly the most creative of the late '70s, early '80s bands to come out of the "Punk" scene, the Talking Heads combined creative lyrics, interesting rhythms, and unusual, unexpected far-reaching and diverse influences.

It's a bit difficult to say exactly why I chose this song to lead off, perhaps because when it was big, I had no idea who Papa Legba was (a deity in the Afro-Caribbean traditions that came about when slaves were brought to the new world from West Africa.) When I first read that this was the inspiration for the song, I remember wondering how anyone would learn about such things. Now, decades later, I've read a few books myself on the subject and can do google searches on more.  Funny how things change. It is, indeed, a fascinating pantheon and view of the world.





First Album. 








Second Album -More Song About Buildings and Food




























































Solo Projects 

Many, many --All wonderful and interesting and undoubtedly best left for another blog post some day in the future.

Comments