20 Day Music Challenge -Day 15 -Rosanne Cash -Change Partners.

Among the musicians I like to listen to, and listen to because I genuinely like their music, not because listening to it makes me feel cool and sophisticated, Rosanne Cash is one of the most important. First, she's a talented singer and musician. Second, she writers her own stuff, something I admire, but she's not too proud to record other people's music if it's good. She started out as basically a country singer, but evolved into a thoughtful, interesting musician who is best known in folk circles.

Rosanne Cash is one of Johnny Cash's daughters, a credential that will get your first album a contract, but she's had at least eight albums so far. And I did not buy her stuff because she's Johnny Cash's daughter. I bought her stuff because I liked it and thought it was good. And she writes a lot of her own stuff too.

This is a song I used to listen to a lot right after the end of a relationship that I once thought would last a lifetime but, like so many relationships of that kind, didn't. Not uncommon but a weird period in a person's life. No matter how carefully you plan things, they will always be different than you thought they would. Adjust, roll with it, find your balance, but expect to get knocked down again, and when that happens pick yourself up. And finding the right music to listen to as you readjust and recalibrate can clearly help. 




What follows is an almost random assortment of Rosanne Cash songs spanning decades. They were chosen poorly, I assure you. Go forth, explore please, find and select your own. It should be worth it.


Early Rosanne Cash . . .






A cover of a classic song . . .


Another cover  (https://secondhandsongs.com/work/81114/all ) -wonderful song.


This is a song written after a year of her life marked by the death of several people who were important to her.


Comments