Day Two of the music challenge -- Dengue Fever, Cambodian inspired American pop music from Southern Californa

I have been nominated by a friend to pick 20 of my favorite bands or music artist. Day four, Dengue Fever from the Los Angeles, USA, Southern Californa area. An American band made mostly of non-Cambodians who often play music with Cambodian lyrics with sounds and rhythms heavily influenced by the sounds, rhythms, and textures of classic Cambodian pop music of the 1960s and '70s.

For a good introduction to the story of post-independence Cambodian pop music you could do worse than this fine film:
I really enjoy the band Dengue Fever and even went out and bought four of their five CDs. (I probably will get that fourth one and their DVDs at some point. Hmmmm? Perhaps as good a reason as any to start a Patreon account. :-) ) It's gotten so bad, I've had students complain that I was using them too much in my ESL classes. ( see https://huston-china-international-education.blogspot.com/2017/03/assessing-students-writing-through.html _


As I am still saddened and confused by the loss of Anthony Bourdain to suicide (one of my literary heroes and a man whose work I great enjoyed and appreciated ) it's worth mentioning that one of the actresses in this video, Errin Hayes, had a recurring role in the short lived TV series, Kitchen Confidential that was inspired by his book of the same name. I watched Kitchen Confidential (like so many other shows and movies) on pirated DVD in China.

The band plays in English . . .

Comments